Our full technical support staff does not monitor this forum. If you need assistance from a member of our staff, please submit your question from the Ask a Question page.


Log in or register to post/reply in the forum.

Device configuration utility missing most logger/device types?


RasmusRinggaard Mar 15, 2019 06:40 AM

Device Configuration Utility (v. 2.19) on Windows 10 is missing most logger/device types. Only a list of 7 (other) Loggers, 3 Peripherals and one Phone modem is present in the Device Type list. Has anyone experienced this?

Things I've tried and observertions:

Reinstalling Device Configuration Utitlity (changes nothing)

The directory C:\CampbellSci\Lib\** is present and seems OK.

All logger types er present and working in the LoggerNet Setup and Connect modules

Using the "Settings Editor" from the LoggerNet Connect modules gives an error (presumably because it tries to load Device Configuration Utility which is the missing the logger..)


jtrauntvein Mar 15, 2019 12:09 PM

There are two possible causes:

- The devconfiglib directory (in c:\campbellsci\lib\devconfiglib) has been emptied out.

- The registry key that points devconfig to the location of the library directory has been changed and is pointing to the wrong location.  

The reinstall attempt should have addressed both of these causes.  You might have to uninstall first before attempting to do another reinstall.  Another possible issue is that the antivirus is isolating your files.  I'm not sure why this would be the case.


RasmusRinggaard Mar 19, 2019 06:56 AM

I just fixed the problem. Turns out is was an issue with language and regional settings in Windows. I have Country set to Denmark and Language set to US English.

On install time DevConfig will read these settings and create a folder named "en" under C:\CampbellSci\Lib\DevConfigLib. "en" as in "English".

When running DevConfig the settings are apparently read differently. With Country set to "Denmark" DevConfig will expect a directory named "dk" rather then "en". Simply renaming the "en" folder to "dk" fixed the problem :)


jtrauntvein Mar 19, 2019 08:39 AM

The device configuration utility is designed to be translated and, in order to do so, requires that the registry entry pointing to it's device description library directory references the english directory.  Looking at the source code, the algorithm then backs up the path to find the parent above language specific directories and searchs the children of that parent path.  These children should have locale names such as "en", "dk", & etc.  Based upon what I read in the source code, devconfig will only consider directories that already exist in that parent directories.  If they do exist and they better match the current locale settings on the host computer, than those alternate directories are used.  

It would appear that, in your case, the alternate directory, "dk", already existed and yet did not have the expected device description files.  I am interested to know whether you had a danish translation of LoggerNet installed because that is the only scenario that I can think of that would result in the conditions that you describe above.  If you have uncovered a potential flaw in our translation scheme, I would like to address it.

Log in or register to post/reply in the forum.